Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Getting Informed

This may be the final posting for about a week.....time to post an update before I lose my wifi connection today.  We went into Skidegate today, and visited the museum/Haida Cultural Centre.  It was extremely interesting, with diaramas, photos, models, stuffed animals, films - all dealing with the geologic, natural, and human history of Haida Gwaii.  I was particularly drawn to the totem being carved by master carver Jaalen Edenshaw.  Apparently he went to high school (Highland) in Comox, and is highly regarded for his artistic abilities.  The totem he is presently doing will be raised on August 15 at a special celebration where all are invited to attend and to assist in the pole raising.

Jaalen Edenshaw working on the new Totem.

There were several other totems around the museum, some of them very old....we were not allowed or able to take photos in some parts of the museum, so I'll just share a few of the ones we could take.
Totems outside the Centre/Museum

More totems, Inside the Museum
This is the Foam Mother....kind of an aborigianl Eve...and she is well-endowed with 8 breasts.

Haida Canoes, carved from cedar.
We managed to top up our larder from the grocery store, and refill our empty propane tank before returning our car at noon.  I've also arranged for a marine electrician to visit and hopefully sort out my recurring problems which I've so far been unable to trace and repair.  He should be here this afternoon (Wed. 12 June), and then we will head out for a week of sailing in more remote waters, before returning to Sandspit to pick up Ray's wife Kathy.  I realize I hadn't included any photos of Sandspit in my earlier posts, so here is their answer to the Wawa big goose.....a big salmon.
Sandspit Salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment