Monday, May 3, 2010

Getting Ready





Jade 1 under sail





It is now May 3, and we've spent much of the winter preparing the boat, Jade 1, for the next adventure......northbound via the Inside Passage, to Alaskan waters (and return). Many of my friends have asked me to continue with the Blog, so here it is.
There aren't a lot of places enroute where we will be able to get internet access, so the entries may be spotty at times, but we'll try to keep a running commentary and then upload when possible. Linda is not keen on doing 5 months of sailing this time, so this trip will be crewed by my niece, Kelcy, and her partner, Shane. With any luck we can share the log/Blog entries. Kelcy and Shane fly in today from Ontario, and we'll be spending the next week to 10 days in stocking up the boat and getting them familiar with sailing and the boat itself. Actual departure date will depend on the weather forecast, and we'll start off slow, with a bit of a sail into Desolation Sound, before crossing the tidal rapids and proceeding into more northerly waters.
I've entitled the blog "Journal of a Journey to Juneau", mostly because I like the alliteration - no guarantees we'll make it as far as Juneau or Skagway (over 1000 miles each way) - that will depend on the weather we encounter, the serviceability of the boat and crew enroute, and, of course, what interesting diversions we fine in between!
I hope you enjoy hearing of our adventures....let me know if there are any questions about the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Looks like my comment didn't get posted??
    Just to let you know I'll be following from down-under - enjoy the trip!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete